The cornerstone of St. George’s (Anglican) Round Church was laid by Sir John Wentworth — a cylindrical wooden church designed in the Georgian style with Palladian elements. The design was a concept from Edward, the Duke of Kent, who was commander of the British forces in Nova Scotia at the time. He was a son of King George III, and played an active role in the planning of the new building. Though the first service would be held in July 1801, the building was not completed until 1812. It is recognized as the first round church built in North America and the only Georgian round church built of wood. An early parishioner, J.F.W. DesBarres, the famous Nova Scotian cartographer and former governor of Cape Breton, was buried with his wife Martha in a double crypt beneath St. George’s. This was the only crypt beneath St. George’s. In June 1994, a fire destroyed 40 per cent of the structure. But with support from across the country and the world, St. George’s rose again! (Photo: St. George’s (Anglican) Round Church as seen from the tower of St. Patrick’s (Roman Catholic) Church, 1957. Halifax A Visual Legacy, William Naftel).