The City of Halifax was incorporated. The original Mi’kmaq name for the area was K’jipuktuk. Earlier versions used Chebookt, meaning ‘chief bay or harbour’. The area was considered sacred by the Mi’kmaq, who used it for camping and trading. In 1749, 2,547 settlers from England, Ireland and Scotland arrived (also see; Cornwallis, June 21, 1749). A third of the settlers who arrived didn’t make it through the first winter, and many left for New England. Later, others arrived from New England, as well as German “Foreign Protestants,” planters and African-American slaves, followed by Loyalists, free Black Loyalists and Irish Catholics. Prior to 1841, civic administration was managed by governors and magistrates appointed by Britain, with justices of the peace managing local affairs and legal duties. The first officials of the City of Halifax were elected on May 12, 1841. By Confederation (1867), Halifax was the fourth-largest city in Canada. On April 1, 1996, city governance underwent a significant change when the City of Halifax amalgamated with the City of Dartmouth, the Municipality of the County of Halifax and the Town of Bedford to form the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM), totalling a population of 403,131 (2017).