Charles Macdonald was born and raised in Steam Mill (near Centreville, NS). After his years at sea and some time at home in the Annapolis Valley, his travels took him to the mountains of British Columbia, where he worked on the railroad, explored the terrain and painted a number of watercolours. It was during a period in Vancouver that he joined the Socialist Party of Canada. His interest in architecture was honed during his travels abroad at the turn of the twentieth century when he visited galleries, studied monuments and took in noteworthy structures built of stone and concrete in some major cities of the world. He returned to Nova Scotia in 1910, where he started a concrete brick factory (still not a well-known product), building himself a concrete home (later declared a Provincially Registered Heritage Property). He married Mabel Meisner from Chipman Brook. Between 1934 and 1938, they built five concrete cottages in Huntington Point overlooking the Bay of Fundy, just west of Hall’s Harbour, NS. A reporter wrote that the cottages were the sort of structures “in which Snow White and her seven dwarfs might have lived.” Macdonald retired in 1951, giving the company to his employees. He died on May 28, 1967. Their residence was turned into the Concrete House Museum and was later run by the Charles Macdonald House of Centreville Society as a Nova Scotia cultural and artistic landmark. (Image: The Blue Cottage at Huntington Point, NS, built by Charles Macdonald. Courtesy of The Charles Macdonald House of Centerville Society).