The Halifax School for the Deaf first opened on Argyle Street in Halifax. It was the first school for the deaf in Atlantic Canada. William Gray (1806–1881), a deaf immigrant from Scotland, was its first teacher, with two deaf students. Another deaf immigrant from Scotland, George Tait (1828–1904), a self-employed carpenter, was also instrumental in furnishing and raising funds for the school. By 1857, the school had an enrollment of nineteen students, ranging from five years old to twenty-eight. Gray was associated with the school for the next twenty-three years. By 1896, with the support of William Cunard (son of Samuel Cunard), the school opened in new facilities on Gottingen Street, pictured above. It served deaf children from the Atlantic provinces. (Photo: The new Halifax School for the Deaf. Shortly after it opened it hosted lectures by Hellen Keller. Deafculturecentre.ca ).