The Nova Scotia Highlanders (North) are amalgamated with the Colchester and Hants Regiment (less ‘C Company’) and C Company of the 6th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC (now The Princess Louise Fusiliers) and redesignated as The North Nova Scotia Highlanders (Machine Gun). The Highlanders had originated in Amherst, Nova Scotia, 6 April 1871 as the Cumberland Provisional Battalion of Infantry. Since the unit’s inception, the Nova Scotia Highlanders have received 47 battle honours and 1 honorary distinction.