After three years of construction work, the Halifax Armoury (and Drill Hall) was completed. The building was designed by Chief Dominion Architect Thomas Fuller (1823–1898). J.E. Askwith Co. of Ottawa was the contractor, with an original cost estimate of $175,000, but the project went over-budget at a final cost of about $250,000, which was considered an astronomical sum. Fuller was also one of the principal architects (with Charles Baillairgé) who designed the Parliament building (completed in 1866). The Armoury was considered one of the most advanced structures of its day, creating a large interior space with no columns or walls — it is one of the oldest surviving examples of such a building design. It was also one of the first buildings in Halifax to be lit by electricity. The Armoury was associated with the Princess Louise Fusiliers, formed in 1869, who saw action in the Riel Rebellion, the South African War and both World Wars. It was formally recognized as a National Historic Site on June 22, 1989. (Photo: The Halifax Armoury, 1899. Norman Studios. N.S. Archives. From Halifax A Visual Legacy, William Naftel.)