The first Jewish synagogue in Nova Scotia was dedicated in the former First Congregation Baptist Church on the corner of Starr Street and Hurds Lane, in Halifax. Generous contributions were made by Christian congregations in the city, and repairs were made so the building could serve as a synagogue and a school for the community. The first wedding was witnessed there within an hour of the synagogue dedication — between Sarah Cohen and Harry Glube. Jews had been arriving in Halifax since the early 1750s, and more arrived in the 1780s. A hundred years later, many immigrated to Nova Scotia from the pogroms in Russia, settling in Yarmouth, Sydney and Halifax. The Halifax Jewish community grew to be the largest east of Montreal. The Congregation Sons of Israel synagogue in Glace Bay began in 1901. (Photo credit:  Nova Scotia’s first Jewish synagogue in a former Baptist church on Starr Street, Halifax, 1895. Halifax: The First 250 Years, Judith Fingard, Janet Guildford, and David Sutherland.)