The construction of Admiralty House was completed — a two-storey mansion set within the precincts of the Stadacona site of Canadian Forces Base Halifax. From 1819 to 1904, the building was the residence of the commander in chief of the Royal Navy’s North American station. Over 42 admirals lived in the house to 1904, some of which were associated with famous families – such as Jane Austen’s brother, Sir Francis Austen. During the Second World War, it hosted regular convoy briefings. The building is an excellent example of British classicism in Canada. In 1979, it was recognized as a National Historic Site. It later became home of the Maritime Command Museum. On July 28, 2018, Admiralty House celebrated its 200th anniversary. (Photo credit: © Harold A. Skaarup).