The was established by William O’Brien, consisting of five horse-drawn vehicles providing passenger transit service in the city. Through various organizational changes and expansions, the horse-drawn vehicles continued till May 31, 1896, when the Halifax Electric Tramway Company began operating streetcars. In 1949, the system changed over to electric trolley coaches and then later to gas-powered buses. By January 1, 1970, the City of Halifax was managing the operation. By January 2014, the service was called Halifax Transit and it included the Dartmouth ferry services (started in 1752), and 312 buses on 57 bus routes. In 2016 bus ridership was over 4 million.(Photo: A photographer taking a picture of the last tram that ran in Halifax, on March 26, 1949. N.S. Archives.)