Bellevue House, residence of British military commanders on Spring Garden Road, was destroyed by fire. The land on which it stood was originally purchased in 1800 by the Duke of Kent, who had commanded the British forces in North America from Halifax. Built in 1801, it was described as an “almost palatial residence.” It also hosted members of the royal family during visits to the colony. After Bellevue House burned down it was rebuilt. Its replacement was demolished in 1955. It then became the location of the new Halifax Central Library. (Photo: Bellevue House (centre). N.S. Archives.)