Nova Scotia’s first radio station, CHNS, broadcast for the first time from a tiny room at the Carleton Hotel in Halifax using a 500-watt transmitter. The station was created by the Halifax Radio Listeners’ Club with technical assistance from the Northern Electric Co. Later in November, Bill Borrett, who also was a member of the club, would do the first live hockey broadcast. Later that year, station ownership came under the Halifax-Herald Ltd. By 1928, the station moved to the top of the Lord Nelson Hotel. The NS Department of Education began hosting educational broadcasts on March 19, 1928. (Photo: Actor Austin Willis and pianist Dick Fry performed from the CHNS Studio in the Lord Nelson Hotel, 1928. N.S. Archives.)