The Halifax Yacht Club was renamed the Royal Halifax Yacht Club (and, later, again renamed the Royal
Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron). The club was the oldest yacht club in North America having come into being on July 27, 1837. In 1860, as a nineteen-year-old, His Royal Highness Albert Edward, the Prince
of Wales, later King Edward VII, had visited Halifax. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he participated in a regatta in his honour at the club. He later undertook to commission a cup, the Prince of Wales Cup, for the club. On this date in 1861, Queen Victoria gave permission to use the term “Royal” in the club’s name. (Photo: The Royal Halifax Yacht Club, 1871. Rnsys.com.)