St. Mary’s Chapel opened for the first time. “St. Mary’s Basilica is the oldest Roman Catholic church and first stone church in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The cornerstone for the Basilica was laid on June 29, 1820, and the first mass held in the completed church was in November 1829. St. Mary’s Basilica was originally named St. Peter’s, taking its name from the first Roman Catholic church in Halifax, which it replaced in 1829. The first church was a small wooden structure built in 1784. After St. Mary’s was built, St. Peter’s was dismantled and ferried across the harbour to become the first Roman Catholic church in neighbouring Dartmouth. It was the former rector of the first St. Peter’s and the first Roman Catholic Bishop in Halifax, the Right Reverend Edmund Burke, who began the construction of St. Mary’s. In 1833, the name of the church was changed from St. Peter’s Church to St. Mary’s Cathedral.” (SOURCE: http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=7218).