Cape Breton University commemorated the fiftieth anniversary of the Beaton Institute, or “Cape Bretoniana,” as it was known back in junior college days. The institute began in 1957 under the leadership of Sister Margaret Beaton (1893–1975) when, after returning from studies at Edinburgh University in Scotland, she had been encouraged to start a regional collection of Scottish and Gaelic materials pertaining to Cape Breton Island. The institute was later home to a vast print, visual and audio history collection relating to Cape Breton’s rich culture, history and diverse heritage, including Mi’kmaq, African Nova Scotian, Jewish, Scottish, Gaelic, Acadian, Ukrainian, Lithuanian, Polish and Italian communities. The institute also housed over 60,000 images dating from the mid-nineteenth century. This year (2017) the institute is now in its sixtieth year of operations. See: https://www.cbu.ca/campus/beaton-institute/