A serious fire took place at the Provincial Poor Asylum. Thirty-one people died (out of 343 residents), more lives lost than in any other fire in the city’s history. “The Poor Asylum or Poor House was the primary institution for the care of the elderly, mentally ill and poor. Originally situated on Spring Garden Road at the present site of the Halifax Memorial Library, it was relocated to the South Common in 1866” – Halifax and Its People 1749–1999, Nova Scotia Archives, 1999. (Photo: The poorhouse, or Poors Asylum, after a fire of 1882. N.S. Archives.)