The schooner W.D. Lawrence was launched at Maitland — the largest wooden-hulled ship ever built in the Maritimes, at 2,459 tons and a keel length of 244 feet 9 inches. She was named after her builder and owner, William D. Lawrence. The ship cost $107,452 to build. Lawrence sailed it with his family and crew for almost three years and authored an account of their travels in 1880. The ship was sold to a group of Norwegians in 1883. (Photo: A four-masted barque under repair at Summerville, NS, 1909. Kings County Museum.)