The Capitol Theatre opened in Halifax, at the corner of Barrington and Spring Garden Road (later the location of the Maritime Centre). Before the Capitol Theatre, this location was home to the Academy of Music, renamed the Majestic in 1918. It had opened in 1877, and was home to countless musical and theatre productions for over fifty years. It was demolished in 1929. The Capitol was demolished in 1974. (First photo: The Capitol Theatre in the year it was torn down. Second photo: The Capitol Theatre opened in Halifax, December 31, 1930.)