Albion Mines Railroad, Nova Scotia’s first steam railway, opened between Stellarton and Pictou Harbour, hauling coal to the pier. There were three locomotives assigned to the job, called Samson, Hercules and John Buddle. This marked the province’s entry into the industrial revolution. The railroad and mines were operated by a London-based firm, the General Mining Association, “which held an exclusive lease of nearly all the mineral rights in Nova Scotia” from 1828 to 1858. Samson became the oldest surviving original Canadian locomotive — the first to burn coal and run on all-steel rails. (Photo: The Samson rail car. Museum of Industry.)