The first service was held at St. Paul’s Church. Services were conducted by Reverend William Tutty (1715–1754), who served as the first minister from 1750 to 1754. St. Paul’s is the oldest surviving Protestant church (Anglican tradition) in Canada and the oldest building in Halifax, designated as a National Historic Site in Canada in 1981. It was built from timbers cut in Boston. St. Paul’s was designated as Halifax’s first garrison church, and it was mandatory for all military personnel to attend Divine Service. (Painting: St. Paul’s Church, by William Eager, 1839. AGNS).