Formac is actively soliciting manuscripts from Canadian authors. Our publishing program includes a variety of subjects that focus on projects related to Mi’kma’ki / the Maritime provinces of Canada (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island). More specifically, this includes:
• Regional histories
• Regional and souvenir cookbooks
• Regional travel and adventure guides
• Regional nature guides
• Regional commentary and policy books that emphasize contemporary social and political issues in the Maritimes
• Regional photography books
• Biographies of prominent historical figures with regional connection(s)
• Dyslexic-friendly middle-grade
Authors are often subject experts, but all titles are intended for the general reading public, the home cook, and the come-from-away traveler.
We recognize the role we play in amplifying voices of diverse backgrounds, and we are committed to publishing underrepresented stories. We encourage submissions by racialized and marginalized writers.
We are actively accepting new book proposals and will carefully consider all submissions that fall within our publishing mandate. Due to the large volume of submissions that we receive, we will respond only to those proposals that interest us.
When submitting a proposal, please include a cover letter describing your book idea, a brief outline (either an annotated table of contents or a chapter-by-chapter summary), a writing sample, a schedule for completion of your work, an estimate of its final word count, and your resume. Please allow several weeks for a response.
You can send your proposals digitally to:
Or by snail mail to:
Formac Publishing Company Limited
5502 Atlantic Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia
*note that material submitted by mail will not be returned unless an addressed and stamped envelope is included with the package.
We are actively seeking illustrators for graphic novel and non-fiction projects.
Interested artists should:
1) Prepare a PDF or Word document with 3-4 single works as a sample. These samples should either give us a clear idea of your distinctive style OR show us the breadth of styles you work within.
2) Name the document as such: YOUR NAME_SAMPLE
3) Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your sample and CV attached.